Community June 07, 2012
U.S. News & World Report recognizes YNHCH among best in country
Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital has been ranked among the best children's hospitals in the 2012-13 Best Children's Hospitals rankings, published online by U.S. News & World Report.
YNHCH was recognized in seven out of 10 pediatric specialties, with diabetes and endocrinology ranked third in the U.S. — up from seventh place in 2011. This year's ranking also included two newly ranked YNHCH specialties: nephrology and orthopedics — for a total of seven, up from five specialties in 2011 and two in 2010.
In addition, YNHCH ranked in urology (#18); pulmonology (#19); gastroenterology (#22); nephrology (#40); orthopedics (#42); and neonatology (#47).
"This U.S. News & World Report result is a testament to the outstanding care provided to children by our doctors, nurses and the rest of the healthcare team. It is very gratifying to see their efforts recognized in this way," said Cynthia Sparer, vice president and executive director, YNHCH.
"In January, we integrated Bridgeport Hospital pediatric services into YNHCH and on July 2, we will open a new pediatric specialty center in Norwalk," Sparer said. "We are excited about expanding access to our nationally recognized children's services to increasing numbers of parents and their children throughout the region."
This is the fifth consecutive year that Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital has been included in the U.S. News & World Report national rankings of pediatric services. YNHCH is the only children's hospital in Connecticut to receive this level of recognition.
"Yale-New Haven Children's Hospital, which opened in 1993, is relatively young as children's hospitals go — which makes it all the more remarkable to be ranked is so many subspecialties," said Michael G. Caty, MD, YNHCH surgeon-in-chief. "The depth and breadth of our expertise across all the pediatric specialties is significant and becoming more impressive each year."
To create the 2012-13 rankings, U.S. News polled pediatric hospitals to obtain data such as survival rates, availability of key resources, such as and subspecialists and nurse staffing, and the ability to prevent complications and infections. The hospital survey made up 75 percent of the rankings. A separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists — 150 in each specialty — were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty made up the remaining 25 percent. YNHCH cares for more children than any other hospital in Connecticut and serves as one of the region's major referral centers for the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of high-acuity pediatric cases, including diabetes care, complex bone disorders, hematology-oncology disorders, solid organ and stem cell transplantation, and interventional cardiology. YNHCH is also a Level 1 trauma center.
The full rankings and methodology are available at www.usnews.com/childrenshospitals. The rankings will also be published in the U.S. News Best Hospitals 2013 Guidebook, which will be available in August.